Jlp development consultancy
Astute site selection • meticulous due diligence • risk management • value engineering • efficient and transparent reporting • asset management
ACQUISITION & DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT
James L. Pike MRTPI
+44 (0131) 660 2742
+44 (07778) 331700
A Property Development Director with over 20 years experience in an extensive range of sectors, from superstores to hotels and student accommodation - creating exceptional property assets by leading and managing teams through all aspects of the property acquisition, planning, development, due diligence, and funding process.
Key Skills include:
· Knowledge of all aspects of property development from identification, assessment, negotiation, planning, legal, and funding to project completion.
· Leadership and management of development projects and diverse professional teams to time, cost, and quality parameters, and maintaining a positive attitude to change.
· Strategic approach to problem solving to give viable long term solutions in changing market conditions.
· Comprehensive network of contacts in the property and related business sectors to build awareness of market opportunities;
· Understanding and managing risk, both financial and organisational, controlling cost, and driving added value through attention to detail and exhaustive due diligence, whilst holding customer focus to ensure customer loyalty and strategic advantage;
· Effective leadership skills, utilising coaching and feedback techniques, to maintain a supportive and functional team working environment, and to direct and prioritise individual and team goals;
· Self confident and decisive actions, but sensitive to the impact of presentation and delivery of messages to differing personalities. An adaptive persistence to overcome challenging issues and situations.
UNITE GROUP PLC – UK’s leading provider of student housing. 2002-2008
Acquisition & Development Director
Leading and managing the regional Acquisition and Development team to exceed NAV uplift and bed targets within cost, time, and quality parameters through direct development, joint ventures, and OJEC submissions. Supporting the operational Regional Business Directors to deliver exceptional customer service and grow their business units. Major achievements at UNITE, in addition to delivering challenging business targets and the effective management of the business unit, include:
· Effective leader of a high performance team (15 strong at peak), and demonstrating flexibility to focus on the differing roles of Development Manager, Acquisition Manager, and ultimately Acquisition & Development Director delivering developments costing some £247m, with a value of £323m, and producing a total NAV uplift of £76m.
· Success in accessing new markets and quickly securing a sustainable development pipeline, leading to the development of 4,062 beds across 14 sites in Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Edinburgh; and a further 837 beds on three sites with planning consent (project review document available on request).
· Leading a measured strategic approach to ongoing business expansion through city focussed business units;
· Developing leadership, strategic thinking, technical management skills, and learning to a high level, through attendance at regular company training and personal development courses.
· Leadership of a number of PFI style bids, including bid documentation and presentation of complex financial structures.
· Driving the improvement in regional administration and consistency / accuracy of the reporting process of key business data, including a complete overhaul and audit of cost to date and NAV reporting, and easing the management of day to day cost control against Capex approval.
· Championing the introduction of an integrated appraisal and reporting approach. Utilising existing IT systems and models, to reduce duplication of work by team members; achieving quicker, more accurate, and flexible assessment procedures; and engendering fully integrated procedures between development, project management, development finance, and accounts.
· Successful marketing of the business to a variety of external institutional clients and stakeholders, leading to valuable occupational agreements with universities at Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
· Since early 2007, leading the progressive restructuring of the business unit to meet changing market conditions. Most recently leading and managing the planned closure of the Edinburgh office, effective project handover, and redundancy process for the Edinburgh team.
JLP DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANCY – Property Development & Investment 1995-2002
Self-employed Consultant / Property Developer, UK & Europe
Worked with a variety of clients on business development and to identify and assist in the acquisition and disposal of development / investment opportunities throughout the UK. In particular, opportunities were generated which could be introduced to strategic partners on the basis of equity share, leading to a direct involvement with a number of successful schemes. Whilst the main focus of work was on hotel and licensed properties, successful transactions also involved residential, retail, commercial and motor service sectors. Also identified and fully researched the expansion of the budget hotel business in Poland, putting together and managing a full local professional team, creating a pipeline of development opportunities, and preparing a full business plan and risk assessment for activity in this drastically different business environment.
LIDL UK PROPERTIES GMBH - Discount Food Retailer 1994-1995
Development Manager, Scotland
Acquisition, development, and estate management. Also responsible for office management; weekly progress meetings; invoice management system; and monitoring of estimated final costs on a rolling weekly basis for cash flow modelling.
THE MILLER GROUP - Residential Development 1993-1994
Development Manager, Miller Partnerships
Management of the acquisition and development of residential sites totalling 500+ units, along with more comprehensive schemes and major joint venture opportunities with public authorities. Lead the implementation of a change in team focus away from tendering and grant assisted opportunities towards speculative acquisitions, resulting in an evolution towards a business with a more balanced development pipeline; less exposure to a contracting subsidised sector and abortive overhead on tenders; faster return on equity; and a rise in average sales prices, number of units, and profit.
WM. LOW & CO PLC - Supermarket Retailer 1988-1993
Property Executive, UK
Management of the acquisition and development of superstores representing over 200,000 sq ft; district retail centres; associated retail parks, housing, and office developments; and various redevelopments and disposals of vacated units.
· Dundee University - BSc Honours in Town and Regional Planning and Royal Town Planning Institute qualification.
Available on request:
· A Unite Project Review document giving fuller details of the developments I was involved with
· Written references